Tuesday 2 August 2011

Guest post by Abigail: Don't fight about the little things

(I, Elizabeth, went to high school with this fantastic girl named Abby, and she kindly offered to do a guest post for me!  It's really terrific, so read up!)
I have known Elizabeth for some time now and asked her if I could give this guest blogger thing a go and she said YES! So, where to start???? Well, let's see.... My name is Abigail (Abby, Abs, Gator.... pretty much anything but gail) and I have been married to my wonderful hubby, Chris, for over 3 years now.  We have a beautiful and very active 2-1/2 year old, Adrianna, who thinks she's 16.  My hubby is in the military and thus we are forced to uproot every 4 years or so and move.  It's stressful enough that we have to just pick up and move, but it's about twenty times worse when you find out you're going to New Jersey. Personally, I'm not a fan.  We moved here about 2 years ago and have been making it through the best we can.  New Jersey is much different than anything we're used to (which definitely pushed all of us out of our comfort bubble) and added a large amount of daily stress to our lives. My hubby and I are quite similar in the way we are very vocal about something if it is bothering us and since moving to New Jersey, we've had several "tiffs". The particular "tiff" I want to talk about occurred about a year ago.

It was one of those days that just seems like the NOTHING goes right.  I decided that right before bed I was going to make cookies to add a little bit of happiness to the end of a terrible day.  As I was in the process of mixing ingredients and about to add the butter, my hubby walked into the kitchen and opened the fridge asking where the butter went. I informed him that I was making cookies and needed what we had left for them.  That's when it happened. We started to argue....yes, about BUTTER.  He said he wanted to make toast and needed butter for it.  I knew that for him to have his toast with butter the way he wanted it, it was going to take too much butter and I wouldn't have enough... We continued arguing for about 5 minutes until I suddenly realized - We were fighting about a stick of butter.... I started to laugh and he, still frustrated and angry, asked what was so funny.  I had to take a minute to stop laughing and catch my breath before I could make him understand that we were fighting about butter.  I realized that we fight about a lot of small, insignificant things that seem like they are so very important at the time.  We've learned to take a breath and think about what it is that seems so significant. It usually ends up being something as trivial as butter; although butter is delicious, it's definitely not worth getting all up in arms about.  Oh, I almost forgot - my hubby ended up wanting cookies also and they were delicious!

- Abigail

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

I love it, Abs! I definitely need to remember this. I actually am pretty sure that Derek and I have fought about butter before, as well. I mean, it's a pretty important food group... ;D